The Immediate Life Support course was developed in response to a demand from healthcare professionals who may have to act as first responders and treat patients in cardiac arrest until the arrival of a cardiac arrest team.
The ILS course is open to any healthcare professional and/or to anyone who may have to act as first responder in a professional setting. This course is suitable for doctors, medical students, nurses, nursing students, midwives, healthcare providers such as physiotherapists, dentist and ambulance technicians. It may also be suitable for fire service technicians, police personnel and prison officers.
Prior qualifications, training or experience required
Basic Life Support (BLS) training is recommended.
Method of course delivery
This course is delivered in two formats:
- ILS comprises of 2 days of face-to-face training.
- e-ILS comprises of 1 day of e-learning followed by 1 day of face-to-face training.
We run the both versions. The validity of the certificate is the same.
*On-site team training also available after request. Click here to get in touch.
ILS/e-ILS Assesment and certification
Assessment is continuous and is guided by the assessment forms provided for each core skill (e.g. initial resuscitation and assessment, and airway management). Copies of the assessment forms should be forwarded to the candidate with their manual. Successful candidates receive a Resuscitation Council (UK) ILS provider certificate, which is valid for one year. The ILS/e-ILS course is recognised for up to 5 continuing professional development (CPD) points.
The e-ILS course is a half-day e-learning and half-day face-to-face and consists of skills stations and cardiac arrest simulations.
The course teaches the knowledge and skills required to:
- identify the causes and promote the prevention of cardiopulmonary arrest;
- recognise and treat the deteriorating patient using the ABCDE approach;
- undertake the skills of quality CPR and defibrillation (manual and /or AED) and simple airway manoeuvres;
- utilise non-technical skills to facilitate initial leadership and effective team membership
Booking is easy as we accept online applications and payments.
If you would like to book a course, you can simply click on the desired course date and you will be taken to our online registration form.
If you have any concerns regarding our centre’s position statement on Coronavirus (COVID 19), please email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
When making your online application please pay particular attention to the following:
- Which dates you are hoping to attend
- Your postal address, as this is where the ILS manual will be sent.
- Do you require accommodation? If so, please state:
i. Check-in and check-out dates.
ii. What time you plan to arrive on the first evening.
iii. Are you planning to bring anyone else (e.g. a partner or children)?
iv. Do you need an accessible room (for those with disabilities or special physical needs)?
- Do you have any special physical needs? If so, please state clearly what they are.
Once the form is submitted, the organising team will review the form and approve/reject the application. If the application is approved, you will receive an email confirming the approved status of the application.
The courses are held at the following location:
Centre for Health Education
Click here for venue details