The European Paediatric Advanced Life Support (EPALS) course is a collaboration between the European Resuscitation Council and the Resuscitation Council (UK). The EPLS course and was launched in 2003 but was rebranded as EPALS in 2016. The course is intended to provide training for multi-disciplinary healthcare professionals in the early recognition of the child in respiratory or circulatory failure and the development of the knowledge and core skills required to prevent further deterioration towards respiratory or cardiorespiratory arrest.
The EPALS course is designed for healthcare professionals who would be expected to apply the skills taught as part of their clinical duties or to teach them on a regular basis. Appropriate participants include doctors, nurses and paramedics working in direct contact with children. All applicants must hold a current clinical appointment and professional healthcare qualification. Medical students in their final year of training can be accepted as candidates.
If you are unsure about your eligibility, please contact the course administrator to discuss it further BEFORE registering your application through the booking website.
Prior qualifications, training or experience required
All applicants must hold a professional healthcare qualification or be in training for a professional healthcare qualification. Paediatric Basic Life Support is recommended.
Method of course delivery
- EPALS course is a two day face-to-face course. Before your course, you will be registered on our Learning Management System (LMS). Here, you can access course modules, a pre-course multiple choice question (MCQ) paper.Candidates will receive their course manual one month before the course. Candidates are expected to read the manual in preparation for the course and submit a completed pre-course MCQ paper before the course begins.
EPALS Assessment and Certification
During the course, Candidates will be continuously assessed based on their performance in clinical simulations. You will be expected to show competency in the core skills of the course, including management of the critically ill/injured child, airway management, high-quality CPR and defibrillation, and cardiac arrest management.
The course ends with a final assessment, consisting of a simulation and an MCQ paper.
Candidates who successfully complete the course will be awarded a Resuscitation Council UK EPALS certificate, which is valid for four years and recognised in healthcare settings in the UK and Europe.
The EPALS course is recognised for up to 10 professional development (CPD) points.
The course programme consists of lectures, workshops, skill stations and cardiac arrest simulations (i.e. CASTeach).
The EPALS course teaches the knowledge and skills required to:
- Recognise and manage the deteriorating child using a structured ABCDE approach;
- Deliver standardised CPR in children
- Manage the critically ill child, including those in cardiac arrest, by working with a multidisciplinary team in an emergency situation;
- Become an effective and confident team member and leader by utilizing non-technical skills.
Booking is easy as we accept online applications and payments.
If you would like to book a course, you can simply click on the desired course date and you will be taken to our online registration form.
If you have any concerns regarding our centre’s position statement on Coronavirus (COVID 19), please email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note: Applications are NOT reviewed on a first-come, first-served basis. Applications for earlier course dates are prioritised and reviewed before later course dates. Therefore, if a course is less than a month away, we will respond to those applications as the highest priority.
When making your online application please pay particular attention to the following:
- Which dates you are hoping to attend
- Your postal address, as this is where the EPALS manual will be sent.
- Do you require accommodation? If so, please state:
i. Check-in and check-out dates.
ii. What time you plan to arrive on the first evening.
iii. Are you planning to bring anyone else (e.g. a partner or children)?
iv. Do you need an accessible room (for those with disabilities or special physical needs)?
- Do you have any special dietary needs? If so, please state clearly what they are.
- Do you have any special physical needs? If so, please state clearly what they are.
Once the form is submitted, the organising team will review the form and approve/reject the application. If the application is approved, you will receive an email confirming the approved status of the application.
Cost of EPALS (2-days face-to-face training)
Available dates (Please click on the course date to continue the booking):
EPALS 19-20 March 2022
Instructor Candidate (IC)/Full Instructor(FI):
If you are interested to teach one of the courses above, please go to the link below to apply online as an instructor:
Click here to apply online
The courses are held at the following location:
Centre for Health Education
Click here for venue details